Is the Status of Female Soldiers in the Israeli Military At Risk? A Joint IDI / INSS Roundtable Discussion
Is the Status of Female Soldiers in the Israeli Military At Risk?
A Joint IDI / INSS Roundtable Discussion
Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 6:00pm - 9:00pm, Israel Democracy Institute, Pinsker 4, Jerusalem, Israel – The service and unique contribution of female soldiers in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) stands out among defense establishments around the world. However, that exceptional standing may be at risk, as certain rabbis demand to implement "codes of modesty" and the draft of increasing numbers of ultra-Orthodox men threatens to alter the status quo of the IDF.
The Israel Democracy Institute (IDI) and the Institute for National Security Studies (INSS) will host a roundtable discussion on this important topic. Policymakers, military brass, and scholars will review the latest research and discuss proposals to overcome the challenges facing women in the Israeli armed forces.
Participants will include:
- Maj. Gen. (res.) Amos Yadlin, Director of the INSS; former head of the IDF's Military Intelligence Directorate
- Brigadier General (res.) Gila Kalifi-Amir, former Women's Affairs Advisor to the IDF Chief of Staff
- Carmela Menashe, Military Reporter, Kol Yisrael
- MK Aliza Lavie (Yesh Atid), Chair of the Committee on the Status of Women
- MK Merav Michaeli (Labor), Chair of the Lobby for Female Knesset Members
- Rabbi Col. (res.) Avichai Rontzki, former Chief Rabbi of the IDF
- Dr. Arye Carmon, President of IDI
- Rabbi Yitzhak Levy, former Minister and MK from the National Religious Party and National Union
- Rabbi Dr. Benjamin "Benny" Lau, Head of IDI's Human Rights and Judaism in Action project; Rabbi at Ramban Synagogue
- Dr. Shlomit Harrosh, Research Fellow in Applied Military Ethics, Shalom Hartman Institute
The conference will be held in Hebrew; English interviews may be scheduled upon request. The event will be broadcast live on the IDI website and will be available later on the IDI YouTube channel. Additional information about the event may be found on the event page.
To RSVP or for more information, please contact:
IDI Director of International Communications