The Israel Democracy Institute
4 Pinsker Street, Jerusalem
This event is In cooperation with the University of Haifa and the Jewish-Arab Center
Are Israeli Arabs reconciled with the existence of Israel as a state with a Jewish majority? Do they think a third Palestinian intifada would be justified? Would they prefer to live in Israel or someplace else in the world? And what about Israeli Jews? Do they believe that Arabs have the right to live in Israel as a minority with equal rights? Are they ready to see Arab parties in the coalition government? Do they believe that Arabs who identify themselves as "Palestinians in Israel" can be loyal citizens to the state?
Since 2003, the annual Index of Arab-Jewish Relations, now a project of IDI and the University of Haifa, has been monitoring the attitudes of Arab and Jewish citizens of Israel towards each other and towards the state. On Sunday June 30, 2013, IDI, in conjunction with the University of Haifa and the Jewish-Arab Center, hosted a symposium to discuss the findings of The Index of Arab-Jewish Relations in Israel 2012 by Prof. Sammy Smooha.
This publication was made possible by the generous support of:
The Andrea and Charles Bronfman Philanthropies
The Naomi and Nehemia Cohen Foundation
The Fohs Foundation
The Charles H. Revson Foundation
The Alan B. Slifka Foundation
Chen and Orni Petrushka
2:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
- Dr. Arye Carmon, President, Israel Democracy Institute
- Admiral (Res.) Amichay Ayalon, Senior Fellow, Israel Democracy Institute; University of Haifa
- Prof. Itzchak Weismann, Head of the Jewish-Arab Center, University of Haifa
- Prof. Tamar Hermann, Senior Fellow, Israel Democracy Institute; Vice President of Academic Affairs, The Open University of Israel
2:30 p.m.–4:30 p.m.
Presentation of the Findings of the Index of Arab Jewish Relations in Israel 2012
Chair: Prof. Tamar Hermann
Presenter: Prof. Sammy Smooha, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Haifa
- Dr. Thabet Abu-Ras, Director, Naqab (Negev) Office, Adalah; Ben Gurion University; Sapir Academic College
- Prof. Ifat Maoz, Director, The Swiss Center for Conflict Research and Head of the Institute of Communication, The Noah Mozes Department of Communication and Journalism, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
4:30 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
Panel Discussion: Possibilities for Change in Arab-Jewish Relations
Moderator: Mr. Amnon Be'eri Sulitzeanu, Co-Executive Director, The Abraham Fund Initiatives
- Dr. Sara Ozacky-Lazar, Research Fellow, Van Leer Jerusalem Institute
- Dr. Mohammad Darawshe, Co-Executive Director, The Abraham Fund Initiatives
- Dr. Nabil Khattab, Research Fellow, Israel Democracy Institute; The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Adv. Ali Haider, Co-Executive Director, Sikkuy, Association for the Advancement of Civic Equality in Israel
- Prof. Elihu Katz, The Noah Mozes Department of Communication and Journalism, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Adv. Aiman Uda, Secretary-General, Hadash
- Adv. Basha'er Fahoum-Jayoussi, Chair, Governing Council, Jewish-Arab Center, University of Haifa
- Mr. Orni Petrushka, Chair, The Abraham Fund Initiatives
- Dr. Mina Zemach, Director, Dahaf Research Institute
- Prof. Faisal Azaiza, Head, School of Social Work, University of Haifa
- Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer, Vice President of Research, Israel Democracy Institute
A detailed English summary of the event will be available shortly.