- Open to the public
Roundtable: How Much Autonomy Should There Be in Israeli Higher Education?
The Israel Democracy Institute 4 Pinsker Street, Jerusalem
Open to the public with advance registration (Hebrew)
The public commission that was established to evaluate the structure of Israel's Council for Higher Education (CHE) and its Planning and Budgeting Committee (PBC) recently submitted its recommendations, which will have a far-reaching impact on the autonomy of higher education and on the relations between academia and politics in Israel in the future.
How is it possible to maintain the autonomy of Israel's system of higher education while ensuring its contribution to the State and to Israeli society? What is the optimal structure of Israel's higher education system? What should the hierarchy of its various institutions be? How should the different bodies be interrelated? How should officials be appointed in the different branches of the system?
On June 10, 2014, IDI hosted a roundtable that brought together a panel of leading experts with a wide range of expertise to discuss these issues.
This Hebrew event was broadcast live on the IDI website and will be available for viewing on demand shortly.
- Dr. Tehilla Shwartz Altshuler, Head of the Media Reform project and the Open Government project, Israel Democracy Institute
- Mr. Yuval Admon, Team Lead at the National Economic Council, Prime Minister's Office; Former CEO of The Public Knowledge Workshop
- Prof Faisal Azaiza, Deputy Chairman of the Planning and Budgetary Committee, The Council for Higher Education in Israel
- Prof. Yaara Bar-On, President, Oranim Academic College of Education
- Prof. (Emeritus) Gershon Ben-Shakhar*, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Chairman of the Board, The National Institute for Testing and Evaluation
- Prof. (Emeritus) Nava Ben-Zvi, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Chairman of the Board, Israel Center for Excellence through Education
- Prof. Yona Chen, President of Tel-Hai College; Chairman of the Committee of Heads of Public Colleges
- Prof. Aaron Ciechanover*, Faculty of Medicine, The Technion
- Prof. Hanoch Dagan, Senior Fellow, Israel Democracy Institute; Law Faculty, Tel Aviv University
- Prof. Momi Dahan, Senior Fellow, Israel Democracy Institute, Head of the Federmann School of Public Policy and Government, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Justice (Emerita) Dalia Dorner, Former Supreme Court Justice; President of the Israeli Press Council
- Mr. Amir Elstein, Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of Teva; Chairman of the Board of Directors of The Israel Democracy Institute
- Prof. Nehemia Friedland, President, Academic College of Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Prof. Itzhak Galnoor, Senior Research Fellow, The Van Leer Jerusalem Institute; Former Vice Chairman of the Council for Higher Education
- Prof. (Emeritus) Galia Golan, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Head of the MA Program in Government, The Interdisciplinary Center, Herzliya
- Adv. Edna Harel-Fischer, Head of Division, Legislation and Counseling Department, Ministry of Justice
- Prof. Tamar Hermann, Senior Fellow, Israel Democracy Institute; Department of Sociology, Political Science and Communication, The Open University
- Prof. (Emeritus) Uri Kirsch, The Samuel Neaman Institute for National Policy Research at the Technion; Former Deputy Chairman of the Planning and Budgets Committee
- Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer, Vice President of Research, Israel Democracy Institute
- Prof. Orna Kupferman, Vice Rector, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Prof. David Levi-Faur, The Federmann School of Public Policy and the Department of Political Science, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- Prof. (Emeritus) Ora Limor, Member of the Steering Committee on the Humanities in Higher Education in Israel; Former Vice President of Academic Affairs, The Open University
- Mr. Hanoch Marmari, Editor in Chief, The Seventh Eye
- Mr. Ori Reshtik, Chairman of the National Union of Israeli Students; Member of the Council for Higher Educatio
- Prof. Zehev Tadmor, Chariman, The Samuel Neaman Institute for National Policy Research, The Technion
- Prof. Manuel Trajtenberg, Chairman of the Planning and Budgeting Committee, The Council for Higher Education in Israel
- Prof. Yaffa Zilbershats, Deputy President and Member of the Faculty of Law, Bar-Ilan University; Member of the Board of Directors, Israel Democracy Institute
* Participated via pre-recorded video.