- Open to the public
"And You Shall Love the Stranger": Roundtable on Immigration Policy and its Implications
The Israel Democracy Institute | 4 Pinsker Street | Jerusalem
On Monday, December 24, 2012, IDI's George Shultz Roundtable Forum convened a roundtable on Immigration Policy and its Implications. During the course of the discussion, the following questions were raised:
- Is it necessary for the State of Israel to establish immigration policies beyond the Law of Return? How would such policies impact the legitimate interests of the state and its citizens? Must such policies or their foundations be established by law?
- What is the economic and social impact of migrants on Israelis, both in the labor market and in the underprivileged neighborhoods where these workers live? How best should these effects be addressed?
The roundtable also explored issues related to Israeli policy regarding asylum seekers, refugees, and other individuals who cannot be removed from the State.
This Hebrew event was broadcast live on the IDI website.
Moderator: Einat Fishbein
- Mr. Adam Bashar, Co-Founder, B'nai Darfur (Sons of Darfur)
- Attorney Yonatan Berman, Migrants Rights Clinic, Academic Center of Law and Business
- Prof. Hanoch Dagan, Senior Fellow, Israel Democracy Institute; Faculty of Law, Tel-Aviv University
- Prof. Zvi Eckstein, Dean of the School of Economics, Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya - IDC
- Dr. Michal Givoni, Lecturer in political theory, Ben-Gurion University; Board member, ASSAF
- Attorney Yochi Gnessin, Head of Administrative Law Affairs, State Attorney's Office
- Mr. Meir Yitzhak Halevi, Mayor of Eilat
- Mr. Ala Khatib, C.E.O., Kav LaOved
- MK Dov Khenin, MK, Hadash Party (The Democratic Front for Peace and Equality)
- Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer, Vice President of Research, Israel Democracy Institute; Professor Emeritus and Former Dean of the Law Faculty, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Adv. Iris Maayan, Section Head, Foreign Workers' Rights, Ministry of Industry, Trade, and Labor
- Prof. Guy Mundlak, Faculty of Law and Department of Labor Studies, Tel Aviv University
- Dr. Taniv Rofe, Ministry of Agriculture
- Prof. Galia Sabar, Chair, African Studies, Tel Aviv University
- Prof. Yuval Shany, Senior Fellow, Israel Democracy Institute, Dean of Faulty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Karen Tal, CEO Tovanot B'Hinuch (Education Insights)
- Mr. Avshalom Vilan, Secretary-General, Israeli Farmers' Association
- Prof. Raphi Walden, Chairman, Physicians for Human Rights
- Attorney Reuven (Ruvi) Ziegler, Researcher, Israel Democracy Institute; Lecturer in Public Law and Human Rights, University of Reading, United Kingdom
- Attorney Dina Zilber, Deputy Attorney General, Justice Ministry
- Dr. Hani Zubida, Department of Political Science, Max Stern Yezreel Valley College
IDI Articles (English)
Trapped between the Fences | Reuven (Ruvi) Ziegler | September, 2012
The New Amendment to the 'Prevention of Infiltration' Act: Defining Asylum-Seekers as Criminals | Reuven (Ruvi) Ziegler | January, 2012
A Matter of Definition: On 'Infiltrators' and 'Asylum Seekers' in Israel | Reuven (Ruvi) Ziegler | January, 2011
A variety of Hebrew resources for this event can be found on the Hebrew Event Page.