- Open to the public
How Will the 20th Knesset Treat Israeli Democracy?
Eretz Israel Museum
2 Haim Levanon St., Tel Aviv
Open to the public with advance registration
The 19th Knesset was characterized by legislation that can be seen as damaging to the basic tenets of democracy.
On Thursday, February 26, 2015, in advance of the elections for the 20th Knesset, IDI marked the publication of Anti-Democratic Legislation in the 18th Knesset (2009–2013) by Dr. Amir Fuchs, Dr. Dana Blander, and Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer, by convening members of Knesset and other experts to discuss the following questions:
- Will the next Knesset promote the Nation State law?
- How will the next Knesset relate to the Supreme Court?
- How will the Israeli public relate to an Arab opposition leader?
- Will there be an Arab party in the next coalition government?
- What is the meaning of democracy in the Jewish state?
This pre-election book launch was conducted in Hebrew, and was open to the public with advance registration.
The event was broadcast live on the IDI website and is available for viewing below.
- Mr. Arnon Meir, Israel Democracy Institute
- Mr. Yohanan Plesner, President, The Israel Democracy Institute
- Mr. Ayman Odeh, Chairman, The Joint List of Arab Parties
- MK Yariv Levin, Chairman of the Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, Likud
- MK Karin Elharrar, Yesh Atid
- Mr. Dani Dayan, former Chairman of the Yesha Council
- Adv. Gaby Lasky, Meretz Candidate
- Adv. Ayelet Nahmias-Verbin, Zionist Union Candidate
- Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer, Vice President of Research, The Israel Democracy Institute
- Democracy: The Key Election Issue by Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer and Amir Fuchs
- Banning Arab Workers: A Hypocritical Condemnation by Dr. Amir Fuchs
- Legal Opinion on Basic Law: Israel as the Nation State of the Jewish People by Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer and Dr. Amir Fuchs