- Open to the public
The Fighting Ethos of the IDF: Has it Changed?
This Hebrew event was open to the public with advance registration.
Operation Protective Edge brought into focus a number of questions about the nature and status of the Israel Defense Forces: Are changes in Israeli society changing the nature of Israeli soldiers and the values that motivate them? Was it appropriate to include statements of religious belief in a command letter? Should the Jewish nature of the State of Israel impact the ethos of the IDF? If so, how? And what role do pre-military academies play in shaping the character of the Israeli military and its fighters?
These questions were addressed at at an IDI roundtable on Monday October 20, 2014, which was broadcast live on the IDI website (Hebrew).
Moderator: Yair Sheleg
Opening Remarks: IDI President Yohanan Plesner
- Admiral (Res.) Amichay (Ami) Ayalon
- Dr. Mordechai Bar-On
- Dr. Arye Carmon
- Prof. Stuart Cohen
- Brigadier General (Res.) Amiad Faris
- Dr. Simcha Goldin
- Gen. Gershon HaCohen
- Col. (Res.) Moshe Hagar
- Mr. Amos Harel
- Prof. Tamar Hermann
- Dr. Yoaz Hendel
- Prof. Efraim Inbar
- Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer
- Rabbi Dr. Benjamin (Benny) Lau
- Prof. Yagil Levy
- Prof. Amia Lieblich
- Ms. Michal Nagan
- MK Elazar Stern
- Prof. Yedidia Stern
- MK Shelly Yachimovich
- Mr. Dani Zamir
- The IDF's Fighting Ethos in the Wake of Operation Protective Shield by Yohanan Plesner
- The IDF: Army of the People or Army of God? by Mordechai Kremnitzer
- Is There a Place for God in the Israeli Army? by Yedidia Stern
יגיל לוי, לא מח"ט בערמת שחת: על פרשת מח"ט גבעתי
הרב ד"ר בני ל6או, "רוח המפקד" – "מורשת אלקנה"
עדיאל זימרן, מלחמה בשם השם או מלחמה למען העם