Roundtable: International Recognition of a Palestinian State
The Israel Democracy Institute | 4 Pinsker Street, Jerusalem
When the General Assembly of the United Nations reconvenes on September 13, 2011, one of the topics on its agenda is likely to be recognition of the Palestinian state, perhaps in the form of an official request by the Palestinians for UN membership. A change in the international status of the Palestinian Authority may have far-reaching implications for Israel's standing on the international stage, for the legal rules that apply to Israel's relations with the Palestinians and the international community, and ultimately for the political and legal discourse in Israel.
On Wednesday, September 14, 2011, the Israel Democracy Institute convened a roundtable on International Recognition of the Palestinian State and its Effect on Political and Legal Discourse in Israel. This event focused on the challenges that such a change in status will present as well as on possible solutions, and was attended by politicians and diplomats, government officials, military personnel, lawyers and jurists, academics, and prominent political activists.
- Mr. Shaul Arieli, Negotiator of the "Geneva Initiative"; Member of the Council for Peace and Security
- MK Daniel Ayalon, Deputy Foreign Minister
- Dr. Tal Becker, International Fellow, Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer, Vice President of Research, Israel Democracy Institute
- Brig. Gen. (Ret.) Yossi Kuperwasser, Director General for Strategic Affairs
- Dr. Alon Liel, Former Director General, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Prof. Gabriela Shalev, Former Israeli ambassador to the UN
- Prof. Yuval Shany, Senior Fellow, Israel Democracy Institute
- Adv. Gilad Sher, Former CEO for the Prime Minister's Office; The Prime Minister's Policy Coordinator
- MK Dr. Ahmad Tibi, Deputy Speaker of the Knesset
- MK Dr. Einat Wilf, Member, Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee
Guy S. Goodwin-Gill, The Palestine Liberation Organization, the future State of Palestine, and the question of popular representation
"Attorneys Tell UN: Unilateral Declaration of Palestinian State would be Illegal", Israel Insider, 30th May 2011.
Tal Becker, "A coming storm? Prospects and Implications of UN Recognition of Palestinian Statehood.
Amichai Cohen, U.N. Recognition of a Palestinian State: A Legal Analysis (September 11, 2011)
From the press
Mahmoud Abbas, "The Long Overdue Palestinian State", The New York Times, 16th May 2011.
Danny Dannon, "Making the Land of Israel Whole", The New York Times, 18th May 2011.
Ronen Medzini, "Who will endorse Palestine?" YNet News, Aug. 27, 2011
Shlomo Avineri, "What would happen if Palestinians unilaterally declared statehood?" Haaretz, April 19, 2010